6.3-- General, Panoramic Views of
Sechelt's Waterfront and Wharf (1901-1915)
photographs in the series show Sechelt's beach, waterfront area, wharf
and buldings from 1900 to 1983 both from land and water. The area
covered stretches from the rocky area to the west of the gravel beach
to the Selma Park waterfront. The photographers include Charles Bradbury,
Edric S. Clayton, Alan Gibbons, Helen McCall, Philip Timms, Harry
Winn and the Sechelt Peninsula Times photographer. Some photographs
are Union Steamship Company pictures. Many of the photographs are
copies from originals in the Vancouver City Archives, Provinicial
Archives and the Vancouver Public Library Collection.
-- View from present day corner of Wharf Avenue and Teredo Street
looking south to Trail Bay waterfront. Buildings from left to
Whitaker's barn (shake) on left side of today's Wharf Avenue originally
known as Porpoise Bay Road.
Wharf Avenue was constructed between Trail Bay and Porpoise Bay
in 1896 following a portion of the old Indian trail. Mr. Herbert
Whitaker was in charge of the project which was financed by the
Provincial Public Works Department with an expenditure of $87.50.
The actual work was done by T.J. Cook and two Indians, who graded
the thoroughfare by dragging boom chains over the surface.
First Whitaker store and post office right of Wharf Road. Latter
opened in March 1, 1896 with Herbert Whitaker as postmaster.
Herbert Whitaker's second store and post office (third building
from left), in 1912 it became Sechelt's first school but in 1913
became our first telegraph office.
First Sechelt Hotel opened July 1, 1899, by Herbert Whitaker,
sold to a German Company in 1913 and burned down on June 1, 1914
probably by Philip Timms, courtesy Vancouver City Archives. See
also oversize 6.15.5
-- First Sechelt Hotel, note Sechelt flag on right, prior to addition
of west wing. Second store seen immediately east of hotel, in1904
first store and post office building was still standing on east
side of second store. Fence built to keep sheep and cattle out.
Original print donated by L. S. Jackson to Vancouver City Archives.
Matthews annotated Vancouver City Archives copy erroneously by
a) dating the hotel from 1895 rather than 1899, b) stating "when
a larger general store was built the building on right edge became
the first school." Actually a new store was built in 1906 and
school did not open until October 1912.
titled "Approach to Wharf under Construction. Penciled on back
of original "The new hotel and part of general store at Sechelt,
B.C. 1904. Philip Timms." Rubber stamp on original print: "Philip
T. Timms, photographer, 1842 Charles Street, Vancouver, Canada.
Photograph/negative by Philip Timms, courtesy Vancouver City Archives.
-- Buildings on the Boulevard between Inlet Ave. and Indian Reserve
owned by Bert Whitaker and photographed almost certainly in 1906.
Very significant in showing where early structures stood in relation
to each other. Left
First hotel, opened in 1899, and prior to addition of large wing
on west side, fenced to keep out sheep. Bulwark along beach.
Second store and post office in existence in 1902 or earlier.
Became first school in 1912 and first telegraph office in 1913.
Later joined to fourth store and post office.
First store and post office. Main portion and its lean-to on west
side made of shingles, but its lean-to on east side made of milled
First barn, constructed
of shakes, and with barn doors opened on to trail to Porpoise
Bay. Fence from barn along Boulevard to Reserve has been removed
to make space for 1906 store.
Third store and post office, built in 1906, with two floors of
hotel annex above. Converted into second hotel after first burned,
in 1914; then burned itself in 1936.
by Icke and Schenk, Vancouver, B.C., photograph courtesy Rowena
Haslett. See also 6.5.89 and oversize 6.15.28.
© The Sechelt Community Archives