-- View from present day corner of Wharf Avenue and Teredo Street looking
south to Trail Bay waterfront. Buildings from left to right:
Whitaker's barn (shake) on left side of today's Wharf Avenue originally
known as Porpoise Bay Road.
Wharf Avenue was constructed between Trail Bay and Porpoise Bay in 1896
following a portion of the old Indian trail. Mr. Herbert Whitaker was
in charge of the project which was financed by the Provincial Public Works
Department with an expenditure of $87.50. The actual work was done by
T.J. Cook and two Indians, who graded the thoroughfare by dragging boom
chains over the surface.
First Whitaker store and post office right of Wharf Road. Latter opened
in March 1, 1896 with Herbert Whitaker as postmaster.
Herbert Whitaker's second store and post office (third building from left),
in 1912 it became Sechelt's first school but in 1913 became our first
First Sechelt Hotel opened July 1, 1899, by Herbert Whitaker, sold to
a German Company in 1913 and burned down on June 1, 1914 .
probably by Philip Timms, courtesy Vancouver City Archives. See also oversize