6.3-- General, Panoramic Views of Sechelt's Waterfront and Wharf (1901-1915)
photographs in the series show Sechelt's beach, waterfront area, wharf
and buldings from 1900 to 1983 both from land and water. The area
covered stretches from the rocky area to the west of the gravel beach
to the Selma Park waterfront. The photographers include Charles Bradbury,
Edric S. Clayton, Alan Gibbons, Helen McCall, Philip Timms, Harry
Winn and the Sechelt Peninsula Times photographer. Some photographs
are Union Steamship Company pictures. Many of the photographs are
copies from originals in the Vancouver City Archives, Provinicial
Archives and the Vancouver Public Library Collection.
1900s -- Tourists arriving in Trail Bay.
1906-1913 -- Three-storied building, left of centre, with sign
over front door "Post Office" was built in 1906 with
store and post office on ground floor and hotel annex on upper
floors. Later the entire building was used as the second hotel.
It burned in 1936. Farm buildings on left; note barn has three
vents on the roof. Boathouse unpainted with double doorway on
beach. First Indian Residential School situated on hill with rare
view of auxiliary building northwest behind the school, which
was destroyed by fire, May 1917. See Department of Indian Affairs
1913 report for dimensions of school wing, laundry-workshop, stable
and chicken house. Although it does not appear in this photo,
there is another photo extant of this store-post office (third
store) building with a large sign under the row of three windows
in front reading "General Store."
-- Trail Bay waterfront and Robert Straight Camp. Robert Straight,
father of Sun columnist Lee Straight, was an ardent fisherman,
a Vancouver school teacher who devised the Junior High School
system and later a senior school inspector. Son Lee was a friend
of Jim Steele (Helen Dawe's brother-in-law). The camp is at the
west end of the Boulevard near Ocean Avenue. In 1913 Ada Dawe
walked this trail from her father's house on Lot 7, Block 1, DL
1331 to the store and post office then located on the east side
of Wharf Road next to the Reserve. She called the route 'Ye Trail
of Lantern and Milk Pail.'
-- Panorama of buildings on Trail Bay including Green Cottage,
Beach House, store, hotel, Indian homes, first Our Lady of Lourdes
Catholic Church with band stand in front. S.S. Comox at Sechelt
wharf indicates a date of 1919 or earlier but after 1907 when
church was dedicated. S.S. Comox lies at Sechelt wharf and sailed
under Union SS Company between 1891 and 1919. Postcard belonged
to Tom Pinder and Christmas Card copy was donated by Dolly Jonas
(nee Cannon) of Qualicum Beach (in 1974). She had a hairdressing
business in Selma Park and is the daughter of Thomas Cannon, shoemaker,
in Sechelt Directory 1937-1939, and wife Annie Cannon. The card
was given to Dolly by Fred Frewin (Sechelt Directory 1937-1945
#181 by Charles Bradbury, who was Sechelt's first telegraph operator,
to 1914 -- Buildings along the Boulevard between Inlet Avenue
First Sechelt Hotel, opened July 1, 1899 and expanded on west
side to make about 40 rooms, owned by Bert Whitaker. Note vines
growing up over balcony of original portion, steps down to beach,
flagpoles. Sold to Canadian-European Investment Corp. Ltd. in
December 1913 and destroyed by fire June 1, 1914.
Herbert Whitaker's second store on Trail Bay (1899). Later Sechelt's
first school (1912) and first telegraph office (1913). Demolished
Wharf at terminus of Wharf Avenue
Herbert Whitaker's third store and post office, with annex to
first hotel on upper floors. It was converted into second hotel
after 1914 fire, it burned down in 1936 when owned by Union Estates.
Boat house on shore line, east of wharf.
© The Sechelt Community Archives