Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs

Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Other collections

Gwen Abram
   Lansdowne Park
Mrs. Lorraine Ansell
   Sunshine Coast
Mr. Warren Allan

   Selma Park Store
Mr. and Mrs. Atlee
   Harry and Jessie Irvine
Mr. Brian Blackwell
Audrey Broughton
   Sechelt Meat Lockers
Caple family
   Redrooffs Resort
Richard (Dick) Clayton
   Clayton family, early Sechelt

Mr. Alan Crane
   Music and Recital Society
Mr. Cavin Crawford
   Crawford home
District of Sechelt
Friends of the Library
   Sechelt Library
Mr, Nick Gilbert
   Whitaker family, various
Mrs. May Gillis
   Redrooffs Resort
Mrs. Joan Graham
   Rockwood Lodge
Mrs. Patricia Hilton
   Redrooffs, Cooper's Green
Mrs. Joyce Hubbs
   Selma Park Store
Mr. Philip (Pete) Jackson
   Jackson Brothers' Logging
Ms. Caroline Keeley
   Jackson Brothers' Logging
Mr. and Mrs. Kohuch
   Gilmore brothers
Mrs. Joyce Kolibas
   Sechelt General Store
Eddie and Gladys Le Warne
   Trading Post, Davis Bay
Mr. Gary Little
   Early postcards
Mrs. Diana Lofstrom
   Sechelt Library Board
Mrs. Faye McCourt
   McCourt family, various
Mrs. Barbara Moffett
Ms. Donna Nelson
   Clowhom Falls
Mr. Kendall Parr Pearson
Mr. John Pirie
  Hopkin's Landing, Pender Harbour
St. Mary's Hospital Auxiliary
   Events, volunteers
Mr. Philip Sawkins
   Sitka Spruce Lumber, Picnic
Sechelt Community Archivist
   Wakefield Inn
Sechelt Garden Club
   Events, members
Sechelt Public Library
   Library events, Peninsula Times newspaper
Senior Citizen's Ass'n (Sechelt)
   Events, members
Mrs. June Shepherd
   Ernie Penn, Sechelt Hotel
Mrs. Billie Steele
   Hacketts, Rockwood Lodge
Mr. Charles Stephens and
Mr. Robert D'Arcy

   Sandy Hook community
Sunshine Coast Credit Union
Mrs. Bea Swanson
   Swanson Redi-Mix, events
Ms. Val Swanson

Mrs. Sue Thompson

   Wilson Creek baseball
Mrs. Betty Twigg
   Mrs. Alice French
University Women
   Members, events
The Rev. Kenneth Walker
   George Walker
Mrs. Jean Whittaker
   Shorncliffe Intermediate Care
Mrs. Frances Yordan
   Hunt family, Sargeant Bay


Joan Graham Collection -- Rockwood Lodge, Page 4

Rockwood Centre, originally Rockwood Lodge and listed as a heritage building, was built by Bill and Jessie Youngson in 1935 and run by them as a guest house until 1946. It is located at the west end of Cowrie Street in Sechelt and stands above the street looking east over downtown Sechelt It changed hands six times until taken over by the Sechelt Chamber of Commerce in 1980 for an office and to house a tea room and craft shop. The District of Sechelt assumed the mortgage in 1986 and permitted a local group to manage the lodge as a community use facility. This group restored the north wing, established the lovely rhododendron garden and renamed the complex, Rockwood Centre. It is now run by the Sun Coast Rockwood Lodge Centre under the auspices of the District of Sechelt and is available for meetings, seminars, workshops and recreational activities. Every August the very successful Sechelt Festival of the Written Arts, founded by local author Betty Keller, is held at the Rockwood Centre. See also photographs in the Helen Dawe Collection, Series 6, sub-series 7 -- the Youngsons, and documents in Series 9 -- Rockwood Lodge in the Archives.

1   2   3   4  


1948 -- Rockwood Lodge exterior

Photo courtesy Joan Graham, Rockwood Centre


1948 -- The dining room at Rockwood Lodge

Photo courtesy Joan Graham, Rockwood Centre


1948 -- The sitting room at Rockwood Lodge

Photo courtesy Joan Graham, Rockwood Centre


1948 -- Bill and Dorothy Morrison on the left, owners of Rockwood Lodge with Phyllis and Jim Parker. Bill and Jim were business partners.

Photo courtesy Joan Graham, Rockwood Centre


1948 -- The Rockwood Lodge station wagon known as the 'Flying Banana.'

Photo courtesy Joan Graham, Rockwood Centre



Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives