Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs

Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Helen Dawe Collection -- Index

Series 6
   Aerial Photographs (6.1)
    Bog, Marsh Sechelt (6.2)
    General, Panoramic views (6.3)
    General, Panoramic views (6.4)
    Identified buildings (6.5)
    First Nations of Sechelt (6.6)
    Individual people/groups (6.7)
    May Days, picnics, etc. (6.8)
    Resource Industries (6.9)
    Schools (6.10)
    Ships (6.11)
    Transportation (6.12)
    Whitaker family (6.13)
    Cook, Dawe, Steele, Whittaker familes (6.14)

Series 2
General A-Z -- The Crucils

Series 10
Union Steamship and All Red Line Companies

Series 11
Captain Sam and Ada Dawe

Series 13
The Sechelt Inn

Series 20
Souvenir brochures, postcards

Series 24
   Merry Island lighthouse

Series 2 -- General A-Z, C- The Crucils, 1885-1991, Page 2

Mr. August Crucil, born in Italy in 1885, came to Canada in 1910. He worked on Vancouver Island in the Nanaimo and Lantzville coal mines until returning to Italy in 1929 and marrying his childhood friend Christina. They returned to Vancouver Island where August worked in Chemainus taking out poles until, in 1934, he started his own logging company. In 1938 they moved to Sechelt where he continued his successful logging operations and Mrs. Crucil in 1948 opened Sechelt's first clothing store. Mr. Crucil also ran the coast's small bus line for a few years. Sechelt's first bowling alley opened in 1953 was successfully run by Mrs. Crucil. Mr. Crucil died in 1967 and Mrs. Crucil in 1991, two hard-working and successfuly early residents of Sechelt. The Crucil family home still stands beside the Shell Gas Station on Cowrie Street's north side.

1   2 


1960s -- View from Crucil Mountain, Sechelt B.C. looking toward Sechelt. Trail Island on left, Porpoise Bay in foreground.

Photographer unknown


1950s -- Crucil's Sechelt Bowling Alley on Wharf Street

Photographer unknown



Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives