Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs

Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Helen Dawe Collection -- Index

Series 6
   Aerial Photographs (6.1)
    Bog, Marsh Sechelt (6.2)
    General, Panoramic views (6.3)
    General, Panoramic views (6.4)
    Identified buildings (6.5)
    First Nations of Sechelt (6.6)
    Individual people/groups (6.7)
    May Days, picnics, etc. (6.8)
    Resource Industries (6.9)
    Schools (6.10)
    Ships (6.11)
    Transportation (6.12)
    Whitaker family (6.13)
    Cook, Dawe, Steele, Whittaker familes (6.14)

Series 2
General A-Z -- The Crucils

Series 10
Union Steamship and All Red Line Companies

Series 11
Captain Sam and Ada Dawe

Series 13
The Sechelt Inn

Series 20
Souvenir brochures, postcards

Series 24
   Merry Island lighthouse

Series 13 -- The Sechelt Inn, proprietor Mrs. Florence Duncan, 1952-1963, Page 2

The Sechelt Inn, built in 1905-1906, was the summer home of Alfred and Henrietta Whitaker. They were the parents of Sechelt's pioneer entrepreneur Herbert Whitaker who built Sechelt's first hotel. The Union Steamship Company purchased the Whitaker's "Beach House" in 1926 and turned it first into an annex for its hotel and later operated it as The Sechelt Inn. Mrs. Duncan took over running the inn from 1952 until 1963 when a fire destroyed much of the building. Helen Dawe retrieved numerous Duncan family photographs, correspondence and memorabilia when an old cottage was torn down in the centre of Sechelt.

1   2


circa 1930s -- Florence Duncan and Mr. Duncan.

Photographer unknown


circa 1950s -- Mrs. Florence Duncan and husband in front of totem on Sechelt waterfront.

Photographer unknown



Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives