Helen
Dawe Collection
Series
6.5
Bridges, surveyor's
posts (1875-?)
Cottages
(1900-1970s)
Sechelt
waterfront, first hotel (1900-1914)
Sechelt
first hotel fire (1900-1914)
Sechelt
second hotel (1910-1930s)
Sechelt
Inn (1906-1973)
Stores,
Post Offices, barn etc. (1896-1973)
Modern
buildings (1973-1982)
Sechelt
Library, Municipal halls (1960s-1970s)
St.
Hilda's Anglican Church (1930s-1970s)
St.
Mary's Hospital (various)
Sechelt
streets (1900s-1980s)
Shorncliffe
Ave, Teredo Street (1935-1983)
Wakefield
Inn, West Sechelt (1981-1982)
Wharf
Road (1906-1979)
|
Series
6.5-- Identified buildings, streets, structures, Sechelt and District
-- Streets, Page 3
Photographs
are of bridges, cottages, hotels, stores and private houses in Sechelt
and District, many being identified buildings on Sechelt's waterfront.
Excellent photos of Sechelt's first hotel, and the 1914 fire which
destroyed it, Sechelt's second hotel and general store and wharf.
Photographs also of Sechelt Inn, originally Whitaker's house (Vue
de L'Eau or the Beach House), which burned in 1964, St. Hilda's Anglican
Church, and St. Mary's Hospital (in Garden Bay); views of Sechelt's
streets: the Boulevard, Cowrie Street, Inlet Avenue, Shorncliffe Avenue,
and Rockwood Lodge and cottage, Wharf Street and Wakefield Inn in
West Sechelt. Also in this Sub-Series are photographs of Whitaker's
house at Selma Park, the Bank of Montreal at Madeira Park, Deadman's
Island and the CPR station in Vancouver. Photographers include Charles
Bradbury, Edric S. Clayton. Some photographs are copies from Vancouver
City Archives, Provincial Archives and Vancouver Public Library Collection.
1
2 3
4 5
6 7
8
|
6.5.173
1980
-- Whitaker House was built in 1907 by Herbert Whitaker as a revenue
property. It had many tenants through the years until it was demolished
in 1980.
Photograph
courtesy the Coast News newspaper
|
|
6.5.174
1980
-- The demolition of the Whitaker House at the corner of Cowrie
Street and Inlet Avenue
Photograph
courtesy the Coast News
|
|
6.5.175
1980
-- The demolition of the Whitaker House at the corner of Cowrie
Street and Inlet Avenue
Photograph
courtesy The Press newspaper and the Richard Proctor family
|
|
6.5.176
late
1930s -- Cowrie Street (known as the back road) in winter looking
east from below Rockwood Lodge. Note no houses have been built
yet.
Photographer
unknown
|
|
6.5.177
circa
1936-1938 -- Cowrie Street looking east from approximately its
junction with Ocean Avenue. Note the utility poles on the left
side of Cowrie Street only; the Columbia Power Company supplied
electricity to Sechelt from 1937 but there had been telegraph
wires from as early as 1912/1913.
Photographer
unknown
|
Copyright
© The Sechelt Community Archives
|