Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs

Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Helen Dawe Collection

Series 6.5
   Bridges, surveyor's posts (1875-?)

    Cottages (1900-1970s)
    Sechelt waterfront, first hotel (1900-1914)
    Sechelt first hotel fire (1900-1914)
    Sechelt second hotel (1910-1930s)
    Sechelt Inn (1906-1973)
    Stores, Post Offices, barn etc. (1896-1973)
    Modern buildings (1973-1982)
    Sechelt Library, Municipal halls (1960s-1970s)

   St. Hilda's Anglican Church (1930s-1970s)
    St. Mary's Hospital (various)
    Sechelt streets (1900s-1980s)
    Shorncliffe Ave, Teredo Street (1935-1983)
    Wakefield Inn, West Sechelt (1981-1982)

    Wharf Road (1906-1979)

Series 6.5-- Identified buildings, streets, structures, Sechelt and District -- Cottages, Page 1

Photographs are of bridges, cottages, hotels, stores and private houses in Sechelt and District, many being identified buildings on Sechelt's waterfront. Excellent photos of Sechelt's first hotel, and the 1914 fire which destroyed it, Sechelt's second hotel and general store and wharf. Photographs also of Sechelt Inn, originally Whitaker's house (Vue de L'Eau or the Beach House), which burned in 1964, St. Hilda's Anglican Church, and St. Mary's Hospital (in Garden Bay); views of Sechelt's streets: the Boulevard, Cowrie Street, Inlet Avenue, Shorncliffe Avenue, and Rockwood Lodge and cottage, Wharf Street and Wakefield Inn in West Sechelt. Also in this Sub-Series are photographs of Whitaker's house at Selma Park, the Bank of Montreal at Madeira Park, Deadman's Island and the CPR station in Vancouver. Photographers include Charles Bradbury, Edric S. Clayton. Some photographs are copies from Vancouver City Archives, Provincial Archives and Vancouver Public Library Collection.

1   2   3   4



c1920 -- 'Brackenwood Cottage' on Wharf Avenue

This cottage, built in 1896 and situated on Herbert Whitaker's farm lands on the east side of Wharf Avenue, was rented by him to various tenants including telegraph operators Charles Bradbury (1913-1914) and George Wood (1920s). Note the single telegraph line and the orchard where the Union Steamship Company built some of its rental cottages. The pump house on the west side of the avenue supplied water for farm use. The well was located immediately west of the present day Bank of Montreal building on the northwest side of Cowrie Street and Wharf Avenue.

Photograph by Edric Clayton

See also oversize photograph 6.15.49


1915 -- Edwin and grandson Ken Walton on the steps of Brackenwood Cottage

The Walton family lived in Vancouver and summered in Sechelt. Note the sign `TELI...'above the door of Brackenwood Cottage.

Photographer unknown. Photograph courtesy the Walton family



pre1920 -- Brackenwood Cottage on Wharf Avenue

Herbert Whitaker built this cottage in 1896 on his farm land and rented it to various tenants, including telegraph operators Charles Bradbury (1913) and George Wood (1920s).

Photographer unknown

See also oversize photograph 6.5.50


Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives