Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs

Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Helen Dawe Collection

Series 6.5
   Bridges, surveyor's posts (1875-?)

    Cottages (1900-1970s)
    Sechelt waterfront, first hotel (1900-1914)
    Sechelt first hotel fire (1900-1914)
    Sechelt second hotel (1910-1930s)
    Sechelt Inn (1906-1973)
    Stores, Post Offices, barn etc. (1896-1973)
    Modern buildings (1973-1982)
    Sechelt Library, Municipal halls (1960s-1970s)

   St. Hilda's Anglican Church (1930s-1970s)
    St. Mary's Hospital (various)
    Sechelt streets (1900s-1980s)
    Shorncliffe Ave, Teredo Street (1935-1983)
    Wakefield Inn, West Sechelt (1981-1982)

    Wharf Road (1906-1979)

Series 6.5-- Identified buildings, streets, structures, Sechelt and District -- Sechelt Inn, Page 1

Photographs are of bridges, cottages, hotels, stores and private houses in Sechelt and District, many being identified buildings on Sechelt's waterfront. Excellent photos of Sechelt's first hotel, and the 1914 fire which destroyed it, Sechelt's second hotel and general store and wharf. Photographs also of Sechelt Inn, originally Whitaker's house (Vue de L'Eau or the Beach House), which burned in 1964, St. Hilda's Anglican Church, and St. Mary's Hospital (in Garden Bay); views of Sechelt's streets: the Boulevard, Cowrie Street, Inlet Avenue, Shorncliffe Avenue, and Rockwood Lodge and cottage, Wharf Street and Wakefield Inn in West Sechelt. Also in this Sub-Series are photographs of Whitaker's house at Selma Park, the Bank of Montreal at Madeira Park, Deadman's Island and the CPR station in Vancouver. Photographers include Charles Bradbury, Edric S. Clayton. Some photographs are copies from Vancouver City Archives, Provincial Archives and Vancouver Public Library Collection.

1   2   3   4   5



Date unknown -- Beach House/Vue de L'eau/Sechelt Inn

Sechelt Inn, built for the Whitaker family in 1906, became an Inn after the Union Steamship Company bought the late Herbert Whitaker's properties and assets in 1926. A fire damaged it badly in 1963.

Photograph/ postcard # 545? by Helen McCall


c1906 -- Beach House/Vue de L'eau/Sechelt Inn

Home of Alfred and Henrietta Whitaker, parents of Herbert Whitaker, it was located on the east side of Trail Avenue and the Boulevard where the Driftwood Inn stands today (2008). It became an Inn after the Union Steamship Company bought Herbert Whitaker's assets and properties in 1926 after his death. It may be Henrietta Whitaker standing on the upper verandah.

Photographer unknown



c1906 -- Beach House/Vue de Leau/Sechelt Inn

The Whitaker family home until 1926 when it was sold to the Union Steamship Company with the rest of the late Herbert Whitaker's assets and land. After 1952 Florence Duncan owned the Inn until a fire badly damaged the building in 1963.

Photographer unknown

See also oversize photograph 6.15.46



Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives