Sechelt waterfront, first hotel (1900-1914)
first hotel fire (1900-1914)
second hotel (1910-1930s)
Post Offices, barn etc. (1896-1973)
Library, Municipal halls (1960s-1970s)
Hilda's Anglican Church (1930s-1970s)
Mary's Hospital (various)
Ave, Teredo Street (1935-1983)
Inn, West Sechelt (1981-1982)
6.5-- Identified buildings, streets, structures, Sechelt and District
-- Sechelt waterfront, first hotel, Page 1
are of bridges, cottages, hotels, stores and private houses in Sechelt
and District, many being identified buildings on Sechelt's waterfront.
Excellent photos of Sechelt's first hotel, and the 1914 fire which
destroyed it, Sechelt's second hotel and general store and wharf.
Photographs also of Sechelt Inn, originally Whitaker's house (Vue
de L'Eau or the Beach House), which burned in 1964, St. Hilda's Anglican
Church, and St. Mary's Hospital (in Garden Bay); views of Sechelt's
streets: the Boulevard, Cowrie Street, Inlet Avenue, Shorncliffe Avenue,
and Rockwood Lodge and cottage, Wharf Street and Wakefield Inn in
West Sechelt. Also in this Sub-Series are photographs of Whitaker's
house at Selma Park, the Bank of Montreal at Madeira Park, Deadman's
Island and the CPR station in Vancouver. Photographers include Charles
Bradbury, Edric S. Clayton. Some photographs are copies from Vancouver
City Archives, Provincial Archives and Vancouver Public Library Collection.
-- Sechelt's First Hotel
Whitaker built Sechelt's first hotel on The Boulevard at Trail
Bay. It opened in 1899. This photograph was probably taken the
next summer as the vines are still very slender.
-- Sechelt's First Hotel and Trail Island
west across Sechelt's bog to its first hotel and Trail Island.
Note Sechelt Indian Band home and outhouse in left foreground.
by Phillip Timms, courtesy the Vancouver City Archives See also
oversize photograph 6.5.23
or 1906 -- Sechelt's First Hotel
hotel, built by Herbert Whitaker in 1899, had twenty rooms for
holiday visitors until between 1906 and 1910 it was enlarged by
adding a west wing with an additional eighteen rooms. Fence was
built to keep out sheep. A fire on June 1, 1914 destroyed the
whole building. The building on the far left was Herbert Whitaker's
first revenue cottage `Cottage #1' also known as the Marpole Cottage
as it was first rented to the Vancouver pioneer Marpole family.
© The Sechelt Community Archives