Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs

Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Helen Dawe Collection

Series 6.3
    1920s, 1930s
    Wharf 1904-1982

Series 6.3-- General, Panoramic Views of Sechelt's Waterfront and Wharf (1980&)

The photographs in the series show Sechelt's beach, waterfront area, wharf and buldings from 1900 to 1983 both from land and water. The area covered stretches from the rocky area to the west of the gravel beach to the Selma Park waterfront. The photographers include Charles Bradbury, Edric S. Clayton, Alan Gibbons, Helen McCall, Philip Timms, Harry Winn and the Sechelt Peninsula Times photographer. Some photographs are Union Steamship Company pictures. Many of the photographs are copies from originals in the Vancouver City Archives, Provinicial Archives and the Vancouver Public Library Collection.

1   2   3



1983 -- Bulwark at the foot of Trail Avenue

The bulwark was built in 1926 in front of the Beach House/Sechelt Inn when H.J. Haslett was Union Estates manager. It was damaged by fire, set by tourists, later breached by Art McGinnis, the builder of the Driftwood Inn, and finally severely damaged by storms in the winter of 1982/1983. The repair work was carried out in the summer of 1983. Concrete and foundation specialist Leif Erickson has his hand on the bulwark.

Photograph courtesy The Press newspaper and the Proctor family


1983 -- Wooden bulwark in front of the Driftwood Inn

Photographer unknown


196? -- Trail Bay bulwark at Inlet Avenue

Part of wooden seawall built in 1920s by the Union Steamship Company as a project of Jack Haslett. Robbie Gibbons of Rockwood Lodge on right.

Photographer unknown


Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives