Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs


Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Bea Swanson Collection -- Index

File 1, Various projects, events
Arena Road
   &fbsp;Cheek9e-Dunsluir Dam
    Concrete floats
    Delta Rock
    Driftwood Inn
    Egmont-Malibu    
    Flume -- water tower

    Howe Sound
    Keats Island
    Landslide
    Miscellaneous people, etc.
    Offices, plants
    Septic tanks

File 2
   Chapman Creek Dam

File 3
   Parades

File 4
   Views, Sechelt

File 5
   Helicopter landing, Sechelt

File 6
   Equipment, plants  

File 7
   St. Mary's Hospital project 

File 8
   Trout Lake, skating

File 9
   People

File 10
   St. Hilda's Anglican Church

File 11
   Views, Sunshine Coast

File 12
   Sechelt Wharf

File 14
   Eric Watson

File 15
   Homestead Restaurant

File 16
   Edwards Lake


Bea Swanson Collection, File 1, Various projects, Events -- Keats Island, Page 1

Mrs. Bea Swanson and her late husband Harold came from Vancouver in 1942 so Harold could work in his uncle's logging camp at Deserted Bay in Jervis Inlet. He soon left to join the RCAF and Bea returned to Vancouver. From 1946 until 1953 he worked again in logging operations up Jervis Inlet and around Sechelt. In 1953 they brought their logging camp home by barge to Sechelt and installed it on a lot on Mermaid Street where it is today (2009). Harold and his brother Len then worked at Hillside Gravel Operations in Gibson's until in 1962 they bought Stockwell and Sons Porpoise Bay Gravel Operation above Sechelt Inlet Road. Swanson's Redi-Mix Business was opened and continues to operate to the present time under Mrs. Swanson's nephew Fred. Throughout his working life Harold Swanson, an avid photographer, took photographs and slides of his work projects, family, holidays and the flora and fauna on the Sunshine Coast. Mrs. Swanson has donated copies of Harold's work to the Sechelt Community Archives.

1   2


bs.1.14

1960s -- installing water system for Plumper Cove Marine Park on Keat's Island. (right-left) Len Swanson, Harry Smith.

Photograph by Harold Swanson, courtesy Bea Swanson.


bs.1.15

1960s -- installing water system for Plumper Cove Marine Park on Keat's Island. Backhoe was taken on a float to Keats Island, towed by Harry Smith of Smitty's Marina in "Persephone" (boat used later in CBC's 'The Beachcombers' series).

Photograph by Harold Swanson, courtesy Bea Swanson.


bs.15a

1960s -- Len Swanson unloading backhoe from barge at Keats Island. Backhoe was used to install water system at Plumper Cove Marine Park.

Photograph by Harold Swanson, courtesy Bea Swanson.


next>

Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives