Patricia Hilton Collection -- Redrooffs, Cooper's Green, Page 1
Mrs. Patricia (Patti) Hilton's father, Mr. Jim Cooper, purchased what was left of Redrooffs Resort property, namely, the 'Green' property, in 1945 and the two Redrooffs Resort lots to the south. On one of these lots Mr. Cooper built his own house and, on the other, Mrs. Hilton later built her home. Mr. Cooper ran the store, subsequently building a new one, rented the cabins on the 'Green' and permitted camping there. Many community events took place courtesy of Mr. Cooper, including an annual fair organized by local groups which is still held today. He had a gas barge moored by the big rock in front of the 'Green' with a walkway connecting it to the shore. In those days there were few telephones so Mr. Cooper would take and deliver messages as well as do many other errands for the local residents. He was a very popular and well-liked figure. With the increasing popularity of the 'Green' and the advent of roads it eventually evolved into an RV Park. After Mr. Cooper's death in 1977, Mrs. Cooper and Mrs. Hilton ran the park until 1985 when they sold the property to the Sunshine Coast Regional District for a regional park. The present building is a community hall where many events including weddings take place. It is also a very popular scuba diving area and Cooper's Green Park is enjoyed by people from far and wide as well as local residents and is a fitting memorial to the Cooper family. (See also two Histories of Redrooffs Resort by Mrs. May Gillis and Mr. Gary Little for information on earlier owners).
Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives