Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs


Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Other collections
Donor
  Subject

Gwen Abram
   Lansdowne Park
Mr. and Mrs. Atlee
   Harry and Jessie Irvine
Mr. Brian Blackwell
   Sechelt (1940-2007)
Audrey Broughton
   Sechelt Meat Lockers
Caple family
   Redrooffs Resort
Richard (Dick) Clayton
   Clayton family, early Sechelt
Mr. Cavin Crawford
   Crawford home
District of Sechelt
   Various
Friends of the Library
   Sechelt Library
Mrs. May Gillis
   Redrooffs Resort
Mrs. Joan Graham
   Rockwood Lodge
Mrs. Patricia Hilton
   Redrooffs, Cooper's Green
Mr. Philip (Pete) Jackson
   Jackson Brothers' Logging
Ms. Caroline Keeley
   Jackson Brothers' Logging
Mr. and Mrs. Kohuch
   Gilmore brothers
Mrs. Joyce Kolibas
   Sechelt General Store
Eddie and Gladys Le Warne
   Trading Post, Davis Bay
Mr. Gary Little
   Early postcards
Mrs. Diana Lofstrom
   Sechelt Library Board
Mrs. Faye McCourt
   McCourt family, various
Mrs. Barbara Moffett
   Various
St. Mary's Hospital Auxiliary
   Events, volunteers
Sechelt Community Archivist
   Wakefield Inn
Sechelt Garden Club
   Events, members
Sechelt Public Library
   Peninsula Times newspaper
Mr. Philip Sawkins
   Sitka Spruce Lumber, Picnic
Mrs. June Shepherd
   Ernie Penn, Sechelt Hotel
Mrs. Billie Steele
   Hacketts, Rockwood Lodge
Mr. Charles Stephens and
Mr. Robert D'Arcy

   Sandy Hook community
Sunshine Coast Credit Union
  Building
Mrs. Bea Swanson
   Swanson Redi-Mix, events
Mrs. Sue Thompson
   Wilson Creek baseball
Mrs. Betty Twigg
   Mrs. Alice French
University Women
   Members, events
The Rev. Kenneth Walker
   George Walker
Mrs. Jean Whittaker
   Shorncliffe Intermediate Care
Mrs. Frances Yordan
   Hunt family, Sargeant Bay

 


May Gillis Collection -- Redrooffs Resort, Page 1

May and husband Don Gillis first came to Halfmoon Bay in 1964. They purchased, and spent their summers in, one of the original Redrooffs Resort cabins. Over the years they improved the cabin until, in 1988, Don built a new home in which they now live year round. In the early, 1900s Mr. Hubert Kitchin and partner B.J. Wolfe Merton started a summer resort in Halfmoon Bay at what is now known as Cooper's Green. On the'Green' several small cabins, a store, a dance hall, a dining room and a tennis court were located. Along the beach to the south, at different times through these early years, they built eight cabins and called the resort Redrooffs after a place in England. Each cabin had a red roof which could clearly be seen by passing vessels and the passengers on the Union Steamships which serviced the resort. The resort had several owners until, in 1942, the land was sub-divided and sold, in many cases to families who had happily spent their summers there. The families in the houses along the old Redrooffs resort beach area formed the Redrooffs Beach and Country Club which still today holds several sporting events and, since 2007, a dance over the summer months. The majority of the photographs are of the current homes along the beach.

1   2 


mg.1

date unknown -- The hall on Cooper's Green where the original dining room for Redrooffs Resort once stood

Photo courtesy May Gillis


mg.2

1964 -- Mr. and Mrs. Don Gillis' original Redrooffs Resort cabin as it was in 1964.

Photo courtesy May Gillis


mg.3

date unknown -- Another Redrooffs resort cabin added to and altered but still with its red roof.

Photo courtesy May Gillis


next>

Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives