Sechelt Community Archives

Historical Photographs


Home | About | Search | Donate photos | Order photos

Other collections
Donor
  Subject

Gwen Abram
   Lansdowne Park
Mr. and Mrs. Atlee
   Harry and Jessie Irvine
Mr. Brian Blackwell
   Sechelt (1940-2007)
Audrey Broughton
   Sechelt Meat Lockers
Caple family
   Redrooffs Resort
Richard (Dick) Clayton
   Clayton family, early Sechelt
Mr. Cavin Crawford
   Crawford home
District of Sechelt
   Various
Friends of the Library
   Sechelt Library
Mrs. May Gillis
   Redrooffs Resort
Mrs. Joan Graham
   Rockwood Lodge
Mrs. Patricia Hilton
   Redrooffs, Cooper's Green
Mr. Philip (Pete) Jackson
   Jackson Brothers' Logging
Ms. Caroline Keeley
   Jackson Brothers' Logging
Mr. and Mrs. Kohuch
   Gilmore brothers
Mrs. Joyce Kolibas
   Sechelt General Store
Eddie and Gladys Le Warne
   Trading Post, Davis Bay
Mr. Gary Little
   Early postcards
Mrs. Diana Lofstrom
   Sechelt Library Board
Mrs. Faye McCourt
   McCourt family, various
Mrs. Barbara Moffett
   Various
St. Mary's Hospital Auxiliary
   Events, volunteers
Sechelt Community Archivist
   Wakefield Inn
Sechelt Garden Club
   Events, members
Sechelt Public Library
   Peninsula Times newspaper
Mr. Philip Sawkins
   Sitka Spruce Lumber, Picnic
Mrs. June Shepherd
   Ernie Penn, Sechelt Hotel
Mrs. Billie Steele
   Hacketts, Rockwood Lodge
Mr. Charles Stephens and
Mr. Robert D'Arcy

   Sandy Hook community
Sunshine Coast Credit Union
  Building
Mrs. Bea Swanson
   Swanson Redi-Mix, events
Mrs. Sue Thompson
   Wilson Creek baseball
Mrs. Betty Twigg
   Mrs. Alice French
University Women
   Members, events
The Rev. Kenneth Walker
   George Walker
Mrs. Jean Whittaker
   Shorncliffe Intermediate Care
Mrs. Frances Yordan
   Hunt family, Sargeant Bay

 


Cavin Crawford Collection -- Crawford home, Page 1

Mr. Crawford's grandfather, Dr. R. J. Elvin, a doctor from Vancouver, bought the property which had belonged at one time to pioneers Thomas John and Sarah Cook, from Abe Mason in 1927. The stream running through the property is still called Cook Creek and Mr. Crawford remembers a generator installed by Mr. Cook on the creek which pumped water up to a water tower. The original cabin, built by T. J. Cook probably in the early 1900s, was still standing but burned down the first day Dr. and Mrs. Elvin stayed there. They built a new house, incorporating the original river rock chimney fire place, which, somewhat altered, is now occupied by grandson Cavin Crawford and his family. Dr Elvin while on holiday during the summers prior to WW11 took care of the neighbourhood families including the Swansons, Bergie and Minnie Solberg, the Konishis, the Andersons and Sid French. Mr. Crawford's mother Richenda and father Bill Crawford continued to summer at Cook Creek for many years and Mr. Crawford recalls numerous visitors coming each summer to visit them. When HMCS Chaudiere was sunk in Sechelt Inlet to become an artificial reef in 1992 Mr. Cavin Crawford was the last to leave the ship as he had to weld shut the openings to prevent divers from entering the vessel. Most of the photographs in the family albums were taken by longtime family friend Mr. Geoffrey Dodds, a manager of the Bank of Montreal in North Vancouver.

1   2   3   4 


cc.1

date unknown -- Cook Creek's pond with pump to pump water to holding tank

Photo courtesy Cavin Crawford


cc.2

1927-1928 -- rear of Elvin house

Photo courtesy Cavin Crawford


cc.3

1940s -- Elvin house circa 1940s

Photo courtesy Cavin Crawford


next>

Copyright © The Sechelt Community Archives